How Much Time Do Pastors Take for Vacations?
This topic was hotter than I expected.
I asked pastors and other church staff about the amount of time taken for vacations each year. Most of the responses came from pastors, and many of those pastors were pretty intense about it.
They spoke of their dire need for vacation time; of the constant interruptions during vacations; of learning the hard way about forfeiting vacation time; and about some church members who don’t believe pastors should take any vacation time.
After I put the survey out on social media, I received many responses. Here are the reported annual vacation times, mostly from pastors:
- None to 1 week 21%
- 2 weeks 28%
- 3 weeks 14%
- 4 weeks 25%
- 5 or more weeks 12%
The results were fascinating, almost forming a perfect bell curve. But note that nearly half of the pastors take only 0 to 2 weeks of vacation.
We also heard several other issues related to vacations:
- Very few pastors take all of their allocated vacation at one time.
- Many of the pastors were very sensitive about how many Sundays they missed. Some of them were in churches that would not let vacation time be inclusive of Sundays.
- Two factors typically contributed to more vacation time: size of the church and length of pastoral tenure.
- One-third of the pastors volunteered that they always take fewer vacation days than the church permits.
- Some of the pastors are challenged to take vacation time if their spouse works. Coordination of schedules is not always easy.
- Bi-vocational pastors, as a rule, have much greater difficulty taking vacations than other pastors.
What is your vacation schedule? What are some of your thoughts about vacations?
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on October 25. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Methodist Church set to ordain first transgender minister
- Seattle Police Foil Church Massacre Plot Days After Texas Attack
- What Beth Moore and Kay Warren Want You to Know About the Roy Moore Allegations
- Man Accidentally Shoots himself and Wife in Church While Discussing Church Shootings
- Evidence religion is declining is OK with these pastors
Just who is behind the Museum of the Bible?
The much anticipated Museum of the Bible has finally opened, firmly planting America’s biblical roots in one housed building. The fully-fledged...
Why are Christians Defending Predators?
There’s a story in the Bible about one of Jesus’ beloved students named Peter, who publicly denies ever knowing him. Jesus has been arrested and...
Pastor whose wife was tragically murdered finds new love
Two years after his wife Amanda was fatally shot during a home invasion while he worked out at a gym on Nov. 10, 2015, Indiana Pastor Davey...
‘I want to care for people, not kill them’’: Australian doctor
An Australian doctor has spoken out against the legalisation of assisted suicide and euthanasia, saying he wants to help people, not kill them. Dr...