Your Deadliest Weapon Against the Devil?
Here’s my testimony for memorizing Scripture. I can give it to you in eight sentences without exposition.
1. Memorizing Scripture makes meditation possible at times when you can’t be reading the Bible, and meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding. If you’re going to meditate on the law of the Lord day and night, you need to have some of it in your head.
2. Memorizing Scripture strengthens my faith because faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of God, and that happens when I am hearing the word in my head.
3. Memorizing Scripture shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint on everything.
4. Memorizing Scripture makes God’s word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conquer the lies — the deceitful lies of the devil.
5. Memorizing Scripture guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error. The world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
6. Memorizing Scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist to protect myself and my family from his assault. What are you hitting him with? He is millions of times stronger than you, and he hates you, and your family, and your marriage, and this church, and God. How anybody walks through this devil-ruled world without a sword in their hand is beyond me.
7. Memorizing Scripture provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need. Have you ever been caught off-guard with somebody in need? You don’t need to be caught off-guard.
8. Memorizing Scripture provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because he talks to me here and nowhere else. Sweetly, powerfully, authentically, really speaks to me here, and then I speak back to him in prayer. If have the Bible in me, we can talk anywhere, and it’s sweet. It is very sweet.
John Piper (@JohnPiper) is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is author of more than 50 books, including Reading the Bible Supernaturally. This article first appeared on desiringgod.org.
Image courtesy Freely Photos
- Church growing in North Korea despite strong persecution
- Mental health hits the news as Archbishop of Canterbury’s daughter admits having depression
- 13 people killed as tree collapses at Christian festival
- North Korea: freed Canadian pastor welcomed home with ‘joyful crying’
- Australian priests ‘must report’ abuse confessions
Candace Cameron Bure Supports new Anti-Scientology Reality Show
Fuller House star Candace Cameron Bure showed support this week for actress Leah Remini and her show “Scientology and the...
Trump Responds to Charlottesville Riots
Charlottesville, Virginia is recovering today after a weekend of brutal violence between a group of white supremacists and people protesting their...
Why We Hit Snooze on God
It was all so innocent. A series of small compromises, a sequence of gentle taps. Most of them I couldn’t even remember. But after months of...
Trump: ‘Americans must come together with love for our nation’
President Donald Trump condemned the hate “on many sides” in response to violence at a white nationalist rally in in Charlottesville,...