Your Deadliest Weapon Against the Devil?
Here’s my testimony for memorizing Scripture. I can give it to you in eight sentences without exposition.
1. Memorizing Scripture makes meditation possible at times when you can’t be reading the Bible, and meditation is the pathway to deeper understanding. If you’re going to meditate on the law of the Lord day and night, you need to have some of it in your head.
2. Memorizing Scripture strengthens my faith because faith comes from hearing and hearing by the word of God, and that happens when I am hearing the word in my head.
3. Memorizing Scripture shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint on everything.
4. Memorizing Scripture makes God’s word more readily accessible in overcoming temptation to sin because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conquer the lies — the deceitful lies of the devil.
5. Memorizing Scripture guards my mind, making it easier for me to detect error. The world is filled with error because the god of this world is a liar.
6. Memorizing Scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist to protect myself and my family from his assault. What are you hitting him with? He is millions of times stronger than you, and he hates you, and your family, and your marriage, and this church, and God. How anybody walks through this devil-ruled world without a sword in their hand is beyond me.
7. Memorizing Scripture provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need. Have you ever been caught off-guard with somebody in need? You don’t need to be caught off-guard.
8. Memorizing Scripture provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because he talks to me here and nowhere else. Sweetly, powerfully, authentically, really speaks to me here, and then I speak back to him in prayer. If have the Bible in me, we can talk anywhere, and it’s sweet. It is very sweet.
John Piper (@JohnPiper) is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is author of more than 50 books, including Reading the Bible Supernaturally. This article first appeared on desiringgod.org.
Image courtesy Freely Photos
- Thousands sign petition to stop Franklin Graham entering UK
- Unicef: Kids at risk of ‘bedroom culture’
- Explosion Suspect Identified After Subway Explosion Near Times Square
- Pastor rebukes John Piper for taking swipe at ‘dictator’ Trump
- Asia Bibi faces another lonely Christmas on “Death Row” in Pakistan
Franklin Graham calls for prayers for those injured in New York
Franklin Graham has called for prayers for the injured in today’s attacks in New York. New York police have named 27-year-old Brooklyn resident...
The Ten Crucial Church Trends for 2018
Never in my lifetime have I seen local congregations at such a critical juncture. Cultural Christianity is all but dead. The “Nones,” those...
In need of a vacation? Try this in the meantime
Yes, it’s true that we all need a good break. It’s good for the soul, it’s good for the family, and it’s good for your mental health....
When excellence becomes a natural part of life
Last night I went to my daughter’s end of year dance concert. It was a major extravaganza that only went for 4 hours and 50 minutes… I end up...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE