4 Surprising Developments About California’s “Ban the Bible” Bill
Religious freedom has won a massive, unexpected victory nationwide.
Quite frankly, politicians, media and Christian leaders across the nation are stunned…
All eyes have been watching the progress of AB 2943 – the so-called “Ban the Bible” legislation created by the California state legislature to be a model for the nation.
The LGBTQIA caucus-sponsored bill successfully passed the leadership in the California Assembly and state Senate.
It needed a final Assembly vote before being sent to Governor Brown for his signature.
Progressives and conservatives, pros and cons, all believed it would pass.
But it didn’t.
It was withdrawn by the author of the bill on the last day of the legislative session before the fall recess.
Here are the 4 things you should know:
1. AB 2943 was a radical bill.
It would have opened the door to fines and lawsuits against those who believe in traditional marriage.
It would have banned paid counseling or the sale of material dealing with sexual orientation or gender confusion – labeling these activities as fraudulent business practices. This could have included Christian books, including the Bible.
It would have outlawed seminars, conferences, Christian college courses – any activity or event focused on overcoming unwanted same-sex attraction or gender confusion – unless offered free of charge.
It would have prevented anyone who feels called to minister to people seeking help in overcoming unwanted same-sex attraction from being able to earn a living.
2. The bill was anti-free speech, anti-religious freedom, and anti-free choice.
It was intolerant and discriminatory … forcing people out of business who specialize in helping others overcome unwanted same-sex attractions.
It was discriminatory against people freely and voluntarily seeking help.
3. The bill – and its authors and sponsors – denied the fact that people CAN be set free from unwanted same-sex attraction and gender confusion.
Despite hearing the testimonies – during the legislative hearings on AB 2943 – of many people who have been set free from unwanted same-sex attraction, the advocates of the bill rejected those testimonies and insisted that sexual orientation change efforts are ineffective – and in effect, fraudulent.
4. In the end, common sense and decency prevailed.
Assemblyman Evan Low – member of the LGBTQIA legislative caucus and author of AB 2943 – mysteriously and surprisingly withdrew the bill from a vote on the last day of the legislative session.
He says it was because he talked to religious leaders.
If that’s the real reason, great.
But here’s what actually happened:
- Thousands of calls and emails against the bill flooded the assembly floor. Each assembly member had hundreds, some close to 1,000 calls from Reality Alert and Huey Report subscribers … plus calls from other organizations.
- Conservatives who believe in traditional moral standards rose up. Many who usually keep silent when traditional moral values are attacked became surprisingly active.
- Even in ‘Safe’ districts, uncertainty is not good for a politician. It’s better not to have a vote than to have an unexpected turnaround.
Watch this video of the powerful testimonies of former gays and lesbians who sought help and overcame their unwanted same-sex attractions (11 minutes): https://vimeo.com/268873541
Craig Huey is author and publisher of The Huey Report and a frequent guest on TV including Fox and radio stations such as KKLA, KWVE and KBRT.
- Planned Parenthood critic says disarray ‘not unexpected’
- Abu Dhabi recognizes 19 non-Muslim worship places
- The Bachelorette: Does Jesus Still Love You If You Have Sex Out of Wedlock?
- Despite death threats, Unplanned powers at the Canadian box office
- Joni Eareckson Tada announces she is free of cancer
My Five Communication Priorities If I Were a Pastor
Pastors have many responsibilities, but one of the most important priorities for church leaders should be communication. After all, “preaching the...
On the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, the moon as evidence for God
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and I, like many of you, watched numerous documentaries celebrating this extraordinary...
What You Need to Know About the Southern Border Crisis
As Americans, we must stand on high moral ground. When we see wrong, we must expose it with the truth. When falsehood is spread, truth must be...
Want to Launch a Career? Today, It’s Up to You
In the past, many companies would hire novices and help them develop into more experienced employees. In those days, they put a great deal of...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE