Bernie Sanders says Trump Supporters are ‘Lying Bigots’. 5 Reasons He’s Wrong.
In the socialist world view – the world of identity politics – one can’t support both religious freedom and LGBTQ rights. They are mutually exclusive.
You have to pick one group or the other…
So when President Trump condemns countries that punish, imprison … and even execute … individuals on the basis of their sexual orientation, while at the same time supporting the religious freedom of faith-based businesses not to be forced to hire LGBTQ people – which would violate their sincerely held religious beliefs – he’s a “lying bigot.”
And so also – by the way – are all those who support the president and agree with his policies.
Name-calling, labeling, and character attacks are the only strategies left to those who are either unable or unwilling to debate ideas.
It’s a sad commentary on the state of 21st-century politics in America…
Here’s what all the fuss is about:
1. On May 31st – the eve of LGBT Pride Month – President Trump posted a pro-LGBT tweet.
Here’s what he tweeted: “As we celebrate LGBT Pride Month and recognize the outstanding contributions LGBT people have made to our great Nation, let us also stand in solidarity with the many LGBT people who live in dozens of countries worldwide that punish, imprison, or even execute individuals…. on the basis of their sexual orientation. My Administration has launched a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality and invite all nations to join us in this effort!”
A very strong statement in favor of LGBT rights … and against LGBT persecution.
So far, so good…
2. In August, the ACLU posted a tweet complaining that a new rule proposed by the Department of Labor would discriminate against LGBT people.
Here’s what the ACLU tweeted: “BREAKING: The Department of Labor just proposed a rule that aims to let government contractors fire workers who are LGBTQ, or who are pregnant and unmarried, based on the employers’ religious views.
“This is taxpayer-funded discrimination in the name of religion. Period.”
Was the Trump administration contradicting the president’s earlier pro-LGBT tweet as Bernie Sanders claims?
3. The rule was proposed by the Labor Department’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) to clarify the religious exemption of existing federal civil rights laws.
Religious organizations had asked for clarification of Executive Order 11246 – which was issued by President Eisenhower … and was later expanded by President Obama without allowing for a public comment period.
They wanted to know if they would be required to violate their sincerely-held religious beliefs in order to perform contract work for the federal government.
4. The proposed rule is based on U.S. Supreme Court decisions related to the religious exemption provisions of Executive Order 11246.
The rule is based on the following U.S. Supreme Court decisions that have been handed down since President Obama expanded Executive Order 11246 in 2014:
- Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores (2014) – which protected a closely-held family company from being compelled to provide some forms of birth control and abortion-inducing drugs prescribed by Obamacare.
- Trinity Lutheran Church v. Comer (2017) – which ruled that a government program could not exclude a religious organization on the grounds of its religion.
- Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission (2018) – which ruled that anti-religious animus could not force Jack Phillips to use his creative talents to celebrate and promote same-sex marriage.
5. The rule clarifies that the religious exemption covers not just churches, but faith-based employers that meet certain requirements.
Here are the details of the religious exemption for employers – the details that Bernie Sanders is ignoring:
- The employers must be organized for a religious purpose.
- They must present themselves to the public as carrying out a religious purpose.
- Their activities must be consistent with – and in furtherance of – their religious purpose.
- They may condition employment on acceptance of or adherence to religious tenets.
- They must not discriminate based on other protected bases.
But of course, none of this matters to Bernie Sanders and other socialists who want to engage in name-calling and character attacks without examining the facts.
They don’t seem to care that eliminating faith-based nonprofit organizations from partnering with the federal government would mean fewer foster children finding a loving home … and fewer impoverished citizens receiving shelter, job training and compassionate assistance.
They also don’t seem to care that since President Trump’s 2017 executive order promoting free speech and religious freedom, faith-based charities have been able to provide health care and social services to 13.7 million Americans who would not have otherwise received those benefits.
Senior Counsel Greg Baylor of the law firm Alliance Defending Freedom summarized then issue and provided the correct perspective when he said, “We live in a diverse society, and there’s no reason or constitutional basis to single out and marginalize certain views.”
Craig Huey is author and publisher of The Huey Report and a frequent guest on TV including Fox and radio stations such as KKLA, KWVE and KBRT. His new book, The Deep State, is available now.
- Why identity in Christ is at the heart of a successful Christian life
- New group launches to support Christian women in business
- Colleges and Universities Want Homeschool Graduates!
- New Book ‘The Christian Meditation Journal’ Makes Meditation Accessible to Christians
- New book aims to ‘revolutionize Christian theology regarding creation and all things cosmic’
Is Suffering and Tragedy a Punishment from God?
In the light of Israel Folau’s recent comments about bushfires and God’s punishment, I was asked by someone whether I believed that God still...
The unique approaches to church outreach that are working
I am a student of the local church, particularly church outreach. I love to see and hear how churches are reaching their communities more...
The Seven People That Are Killing Your Organization
1. The One Trick Pony. I once worked with a person in charge of a nonprofit’s direct mail fundraising program. One time with the monthly donor...
Canon J John: so how can we fix the UK?
In my previous blog on the ugly political and social mood in the UK I suggested that it had arisen because the true God, that all-seeing and...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE