Christian college receives $75.5 million anonymous donation
David Rogers | Staff Writer
An evangelical college in the US has received one of the largest donations to a college in history.
The Massachusetts-based Gordon College has received an anonymous donation of $75.5 million in what is the largest ever one of donation to a college.
The college was undertaking its ‘Faith Rising’ campaign in what the college describes as “a five-year, comprehensive campaign to raise $130 million to meet the evolving and dynamic needs of current and future students around affordability, academics and community.”
“Faith Rising is a reflection of Gordon College’s continuing commitment to stretch the mind, deepen the faith and elevate the contribution our graduates make around the world,” said Dr. Michael Lindsay, president of Gordon College.
“The landscape of private higher education is changing dramatically, and this campaign furthers our commitment to serving future generations while advancing our distinctive mission. Faith Rising assures Gordon will serve our students for the next 130 years and beyond.”
“In addition to dramatically increasing the size of the College’s endowment, the gift will fund Gordon’s premier honors scholarship (introduced two years ago through its Global Honors Institute). Additionally, it has already allowed Gordon College to increase its institutionally funded financial aid by 15% for new students coming in the fall of 2020. At each level of the school’s merit scholarships, there are increases between 11% and 33% in dollars committed to new students for the fall of 2020.”
Its Faith Rising campaign comes at a time when colleges are under increasing pressure to compete with Internet-based colleges, as well as distance education colleges.
Founded in 1889, Gordon College is located in Wenham, New England, and is one of America’s major Christian colleges. Gordon offers students extraordinary access to leading-edge opportunities for intellectual, professional and leadership development to address the increasingly complex challenges of a global society.
- On Polyamory, we are ‘Mindlessly Careening Down the Slippery Slope’
- British MP questions how venues are ‘tolerant, inclusive’ if Franklin Graham banned
- Rising violent extremism threatens West Africa’s stability
- As coronavirus bites, Singapore megachurch moves online
- Francis Chan shares of Mynmar miracles
- National Marriage Week Starts this Week: How to Celebrate and Why
- National worship gathering ‘Sing Over America’ to be held May 7-8
- April 18 – 19 designated as “Just Pray NO!” to drugs worldwide weekend of prayer and fasting
- Vaccine Exemption Removal Forces Parents to Rethink Options
- Southwest Christian High School, Chaska, Minnesota Featured in 2019 architectural portfolio