Extremists using anti-conversion laws to harass Indian Christians
The 16 year old pastor burned with acid has passed away.
Extremists in India are continuing to use anti-conversion laws as a means of harassing church leaders and other Christians.
On 28 September a pastor in Himachal Pradesh was arrested on charges of attempting to gain converts to Christianity through force and bribery.
The following day, in Madhya Pradesh, radical Hindutva nationalists disrupted a Christian wedding ceremony alleging that the bride had unlawfully converted from Hinduism.
Pastor Charlie John and two brothers, both Christians, were arrested after a group of extremists ordered them to stop distributing Bibles and leaflets in the city of Rampur, Himachal Pradesh. Pastor Charlie John was arrested on suspicion of breaking Himachal Pradesh’s law that prohibits seeking converts through force, fraud or allurement
The pastor denied that he had been using force or bribery to gain converts, explaining, “I only offered the Bible, and I gave it to those who freely accepted the Good News.”
“Someone refused the Gospel I was giving them and I didn’t insist,” he added. “What we do is share the Good News with people, tell them about Jesus, but without forcing anyone to convert. The accusations made against me are totally false – I have never offered money for the conversion of people.”
In Madhya Pradesh the police did not file charges against the couple or any of the wedding party, but will continue to investigate the situation due to complaints made by the radical Hindutva nationalists.
“The newly wedded couple are Christians and their marriage reception was disturbed based on a false allegation of religious conversion,” said Patras Savil, a local pastor.
Sajan K. George, president of the Global Council of Indian Christians, described anti-conversion legislation as “a tool to persecute innocent Christians”.
Himachel Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh are two of nine Indian states that criminalise seeking converts through force, fraud or allurement. A tenth, Karnataka, is already treating conversion activities as illegal and plans to introduce legislation soon.
An Indian legal expert has argued that “a ban on conversion motivated by any sort of gain is in effect a ban on all conversion” which therefore nullifies India’s constitutional commitment to freedom of religion.
Meanwhile, the persecution against Christians in India is rising. Late last month, a Christian teenager who had suffered burns of up to 70 per cent of his body following an acid attack in Gaya, Bihar state, India died in hospital.
The attack and the subsequent death of young church leader Nitish Kumar was confirmed by Barnabas Fund contacts.
The family of Nitish believe that the attack was carried out by radical Hindutva nationalists in reprisal for Nitish’s refusal to stop holding daily prayer meetings in his home. Police, however, have said that the death was a suicide.
- Australian faith groups hold vigil to demand climate change action
- Christian Legal Group to Challenge President Biden’s Vaccine Mandate On Private Employers
- After being denied protective equipment, Pakistan Christian sanitation workers die
- Unity in the Church: Why Can’t We Love Each Other?
- British Christian parents launch legal action over primary school trans policies
- Former Superman actor Dean Cain blasts DC Comics over bisexual move
- Protestant, Catholic churches destroyed in Chile arson attacks
- In mist of bad news, God Moving Powerfully Across America Franklin Graham and Greg Laurie
- No more boys and girls says Lego as it removes gender from its toys
- After subpoena demanding handing over sermons, Houston pastor stands up for rights
- Even Atheists Praise God, Says Author of New Book
- Former Beauty Queen’s Life Story Helps Women Discover the True Beauty Within Them
- New Book a Fresh Perspective on the Story of the Cross
- The 6 Ways You Can Recognize God’s Guidance for Your Life
- Chip Ingram Invites Christians on 17-Day Bible Study Journey of Romans 12 Starting on September 27
- Pastors Rave about the Most Effective Forgiveness Book that Empowers Even Those Traumatized by 9/11 to Find Inner Peace and Happiness
- ‘God’s ad-man’ overcomes failure and depression to help many Christian groups
- 96 Organizations Honored as “Certified Best Christian Workplaces”
- Money Is Easy – New Biblical-based picture book for kids available for pre-order
- Evangelical online platform Jrevolution.net will host New Neogenesis discipleship program starting August 3
- God First Nation Co.(TM) Announces Launch Of Handcrafted Wooden And Stainless Steel Watches, The BlackJes Collection
- The Power of Fasting: How About a Juice Fast?
- Dr. Lord: 13 Ways to Conquer Stress
- The Pastor with the Cure: How to Bring God into Creating a Healthy Life
- On 07.04.21 (Independence Day) Christian Churches Must Join Together to Begin Fixing America
- Searching for authentic faith, new book ‘The Pretend Christian’ a must read