In the UK, abortions increase to one almost every three minutes
The Christian Institute
Nearly 200,000 unborn babies were aborted in England and Wales in 2017, latest official figures show – that’s one approximately every three minutes.
Over 3,000 abortions were due to the “risk” of disability. Women aged between 20 and 24 accounted for the highest abortion rate.
Pro-life organisations have responded with deep concern at the statistics, with one saying that women need a better outcome than abortion.
Government statistics, released last month, showed a 2.3 per cent overall rise in the number of abortions that took place in England and Wales in 2017.
It was also shown that:
– 98 per cent of abortions were funded by taxpayers through the NHS;
– 9 in 10 abortions were carried out before 13 weeks – around 4 in five were under 10 weeks;
– 3,158 abortions were undertaken due to the risk of a baby being born “seriously handicapped”;
– Nearly 40 per cent of women who had an abortion in 2017 had previously had one.
Clare Plasom-Scott of the Life charity cautioned that: “Each abortion represents a personal crisis for a woman who is so desperate she believes the ending of the life of her child is the only viable option.”
She noted that “every abortion ends the life of an unborn child” and said the organisation would continue to be “providing a voice for the unborn and care and support which women in crisis need and deserve”.
Philippa Taylor, Head of Public Policy at the Christian Medical Fellowship, drew out the startling statistic that one abortion took place every 2.7 minutes.
She said the numbers of repeat abortions showed some women were using it as a form of contraceptive.
- Anne Graham-Lotz gives cancer praise report
- Boko Haram kills midwife, threatens to kill other hostages, unless demands met
- Prepare for the Wrath of the Pro-Abortion Militants
- Willow Creek announces an independent review into allegations against Bill Hybels
- ‘Men should be allowed to erase sex crimes if they say they are women’
My Most Influential Christian Leaders of the Past 50 Years
I don’t know about you, but it seems to me there’s a lot of talk about what makes a great Christian leader. Books, seminars, and conferences...
Chris Pratt: sharing Christian faith ‘fills my soul’
When it comes to talking about his belief in Jesus, “nothing fills my soul more”, the actor Chris Pratt has said. The Christian...
Can You Improve Your Relationship with God?
Can you improve your relationship with God? People are often unsure how to respond. The promises of grace suggest one answer; the experience of life...
Making Retirement Work: Getting Old But Finishing Well
The prospect of retirement can be daunting for many people. Some are concerned that they will be bored. Others worry that they will no longer have...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE