Katy Perry to pay Christian rapper $2.8 million after losing court case
Katy Perry and her music label have been forced to pay a Christian rapper $2.8 million after losing an ongoing court case.
Marcus Gray, who goes by the name of Flame, sued Perry and her label for copyright infringement with her 2014 hit, ‘Dark Horse.’ The hit was also performed at the Super Bowl and has been one of Perry’s most popular songs.
AP reports that Perry will pay Gray $550,000, with Capital Records, Perry’s label, paying the balance.
Flame, whose real name is Marcus Gray, along with his co-writers, sued Perry, her producer and songwriters.
Gray filed his lawsuit back in 2014 over the song, which became one of Perry’s biggest hits.
Her lawyer defended her, stating that “trying to own basic building blocks of music, the alphabet of music that should be available to everyone”.
The case is a concern for musicians around the world because of fears that songwriters may suffer writer’s block from nervousness that even a basic musical motif might be found by a jury to belong to someone else.
Gray originally sought $20 million in the case that has lasted five years.
- Stop playing Russian roulette with drugs: NZ family group
- Why US Socialist Politicians Are Replacing Parental Vaccine Choice with Gov Mandates
- Francis Chan announces he is quitting the US to live in Hong Kong
- Girls, Staff Members Kidnapped from Christian-Run High School Released
- After being officially released from ministry, James MacDonald apologizes
- Why identity in Christ is at the heart of a successful Christian life
- New group launches to support Christian women in business
- Colleges and Universities Want Homeschool Graduates!
- New Book ‘The Christian Meditation Journal’ Makes Meditation Accessible to Christians
- New book aims to ‘revolutionize Christian theology regarding creation and all things cosmic’
Is The Brewing Hatred Against Patriotism Warranted?
Unlike today, many early political leaders were not ashamed to admit the true source of America’s strength—they were biblically correct, rather...
Why facing death puts all of life in perspective
On Saturday morning, l was driving along in the car with my family when we saw some ambulances and a number of people on the road up ahead. We...
What’s Next if the Trump Prophecies are True?
In a recent article, Christian journalist Stephen Strang cited prophecies delivered in 2007 by the late Kim Clement, which pointed to Donald Trump...
So Kanye West might change his name to ‘Christian Billionaire Genius’…
Christians the world over are trying to work out whether Kanye West’s latest involvement in Christianity is in fact a conversion, or whether it is...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE