Katy Perry to pay Christian rapper $2.8 million after losing court case
Katy Perry and her music label have been forced to pay a Christian rapper $2.8 million after losing an ongoing court case.
Marcus Gray, who goes by the name of Flame, sued Perry and her label for copyright infringement with her 2014 hit, ‘Dark Horse.’ The hit was also performed at the Super Bowl and has been one of Perry’s most popular songs.
AP reports that Perry will pay Gray $550,000, with Capital Records, Perry’s label, paying the balance.
Flame, whose real name is Marcus Gray, along with his co-writers, sued Perry, her producer and songwriters.
Gray filed his lawsuit back in 2014 over the song, which became one of Perry’s biggest hits.
Her lawyer defended her, stating that “trying to own basic building blocks of music, the alphabet of music that should be available to everyone”.
The case is a concern for musicians around the world because of fears that songwriters may suffer writer’s block from nervousness that even a basic musical motif might be found by a jury to belong to someone else.
Gray originally sought $20 million in the case that has lasted five years.
- Franklin Graham weighs in on Planned Parenthood’s loss of $60m annual gov funding
- In America, ‘The Left Stokes Racist Flames and Demonizes Millions’
- Unplanned Movie Releases in Australia and NZ
- Mexican Pastor Killed During Last Sunday Church Service
- Veggie Tales founder says Christian kid’s shows will have to address LGBT soon
- If ministry stinks, then this new book is a must
- Building God’s Way Seminars show ministry leaders how to create an “Embedded Church” Facility
- Little Women – New Trailer Now Available On EPK.TV!
- ‘Servant Leadership’ five-book series by best-selling author Kevin Wayne Johnson
- The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine Is Coming to Walmart
When Bart Ehrman and Marty Sampson Doubt The Gospels
In one of Marty Sampson’s latest Instagram posts, last Tuesday, he continued to give reasons for his crisis of faith. One of those involved a...
The Totalitarian Power Play of Character Assassination that Could Tear the U.S. Apart
There’s a revolution taking place in America today… It’s not a revolution being fought with guns and bullets – at least not...
If you’re missing vision, you’re missing out
On the way to surf training early last week with the radio playing to wake us up, my 10 year-old son told me that his friend at soccer told him that...
Fatherless America and Mass Shootings: Dads, We Need You!
I want to tread very carefully here since, as I write these words, families are in agony. Lives have been torn apart. People have been taken away in...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE