Merry Christmas! Twenty Weird Criticisms Pastors Receive
Back by popular demand, here are the latest really weird criticisms pastors have received, with special thanks to the responses at Church Answers and on social media.
1. “You didn’t send me a thank you note for my thank you note.” Thank you.
2. “You are too happy!” I’ll make a point of being a total grump around you.
3. “I will leave the church if you don’t put tissue seat covers in the bathrooms!” Please flush on the way out.
4. “I would be happy to take your wife to the store to help her select some appropriate clothes.” Please do, but don’t return.
5. “I guess I have to die to get you to wear a suit and tie to church again.” The pastor did so the next Sunday. He’s waiting on the member to hold up his end of the deal.
6. “Every sermon you preach is better than the next one.” Thank you . . . no, wait.
7. “Why do we have to follow something an apostle wrote 2,000 years ago?” Yep, that Bible is overrated.
8. “The VBS hot dogs are too cheap.” What? We got them at LifeWay!
9. “You don’t tell enough jokes when you preach.” Yes, I do. I mentioned your name in my last sermon.
10. “You need to stop talking about making disciples.” Yes, that criticism came from an elder.
11. “When you changed the name from Sunday school to small groups, you took Jesus and the Bible out of the church!” I agree. Read Hezekiah 4:11.
12. “You didn’t give good advice about the family vacuum.” Now, that’s important.
13. “I heard you are going to cancel Christmas.” Yes, I consulted with the Grinch.
14. “I don’t like the color of your beard hair.” Thank you. I plan to dye it pink.
15. “Your hair color is too dark for someone in your profession.” Don’t worry. The more I hear from you, the grayer it gets.
16. “Just because it’s in the Bible, you don’t have to talk about it.” I try to be selective.
17. “Your wife used the wrong spoon in the coleslaw at the church social.” Thank you. She has agreed to be in timeout from church for one year.
18. “We need to throw out the guitar to the streets. The piano is the only instrument that belongs in the church.” Yep, that’s what the Apostle Paul said.
19. “You ended a sentence with a preposition in your sermon.” What is this criticism good for?
20. “Your pregnant wife is faking morning sickness.” I would be happy for you to watch her throw up.
Some funny. Some sad. Some angry.
All of them are reminders of the challenges of pastoral ministry.
Please tell your pastors how much you love them and appreciate them.
And to all you readers, thank you and Merry Christmas. You bring joy to my life!
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on December 24. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
Misrepresent and Demonize: The Weapon of ‘Progressive’ Christians
Last week, I encouraged Christian parents in California who had children in public schools to defy the law and pull their kids from the state’s...
What can Christians Learn From Israel Folau?
As you’re probably aware, Israel Folau’s Australian rugby union career appears over after a three-person panel ordered that the Wallabies...
Jim Carrey’s abortion post called out by Franklin Graham
Actor Jim Carrey has taken to Twitter to criticize abortion. Christian evangelist is not impressed. The Hollywood star posted an image on Twitter...
When the church receives an anonymous letter
On occasion a church leader at Church Answers will share with the community that he or she received an anonymous letter. The leaders are inevitably...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE