Muslims open fire on Christians in Pakistan leaving several injured
Six Christians were injured as Muslims opened fire, including Asif Nawab, who was injured in both legs. Image: AsiaNews
Several Christians were injured in a shooting incident on 6 September in the Shera Kot district of Lahore, Pakistan, a Barnabas Fund contact reports.
A group of six or seven Muslims opened fire on the houses of Christian residents in the district at about 2.30 p.m.
Five Christian women, one of them pregnant, and one man were injured in the shooting. Three of the six are in a critical condition. The man, Asif Nawab, was returning home from work when an attacker opened fire, injuring him in both legs.
The attack stems from a dispute between a Christian named Asghar and a Muslim, Dilshad Doggar, according to local church minister, Pastor Adnan, though details of the alleged dispute are not known.
Dilshad Doggar, along with several armed young Muslims, moved towards Asghar’s house that afternoon. Asghar was not at home at the time and has not returned home since the incident. The attackers also fired at several Christians’ houses and at the church building.
The Shera Kot police investigated the matter and registered a First Information Report in response to Asif Nawab’s complaint. Ten suspects were arrested and the two alleged main culprits are also in the custody of the police as the matter is being investigated further.
The case has been filed under charges of attempted murder and rioting with use of deadly weapons.
Shera Kot is home to around 60 Christian families who are living among a larger community of Muslims. Since the incident Christians have stayed in their homes and police security has been provided for them.
Violent attacks on Christians are becoming more common in Pakistan. On 15 May 2021 at least eight Christians were left with fractured bones after the small Christian community of Chak 5, a village in the Okara region of Punjab, was terrorised by a Muslim mob of around 200 people.
From Barnabas Fund contacts
- Myanmar Baptist pastor shot dead amid continued military attacks
- British pro-life group threaten legal action following police response to assault
- Sex Trafficking Survivors Sue Nevada for Enabling Sexual Slavery
- Facing court case, Brian Houston steps down from Hillsong board
- Hillsong forced to defend itself after 60 Minutes Australia sexual assault investigation
- Reminders of CCP Oppression May Surround the World’s Largest Chinese Embassy, London
- Twelve Nigerian Christians killed in attacks by suspected Fulani militants
- “Protect our Children”: Group Urges Viacom to Drop VMAs From Nickelodeon
- Staff and students arrested at Chinese Christian Music High School
- Hillsong member wins “controversial” The Voice TV show
- New Book a Fresh Perspective on the Story of the Cross
- The 6 Ways You Can Recognize God’s Guidance for Your Life
- Chip Ingram Invites Christians on 17-Day Bible Study Journey of Romans 12 Starting on September 27
- Pastors Rave about the Most Effective Forgiveness Book that Empowers Even Those Traumatized by 9/11 to Find Inner Peace and Happiness
- ‘God’s ad-man’ overcomes failure and depression to help many Christian groups
- 96 Organizations Honored as “Certified Best Christian Workplaces”
- Money Is Easy – New Biblical-based picture book for kids available for pre-order
- Evangelical online platform Jrevolution.net will host New Neogenesis discipleship program starting August 3
- God First Nation Co.(TM) Announces Launch Of Handcrafted Wooden And Stainless Steel Watches, The BlackJes Collection
- The Power of Fasting: How About a Juice Fast?
- Dr. Lord: 13 Ways to Conquer Stress
- The Pastor with the Cure: How to Bring God into Creating a Healthy Life
- On 07.04.21 (Independence Day) Christian Churches Must Join Together to Begin Fixing America
- Searching for authentic faith, new book ‘The Pretend Christian’ a must read
- Why Douglas Murray wants Christianity to be true (and is worried if it isn’t)
- Bestselling author inspired by life after death encounter