Pastor of World’s Largest Church, Yonggi Cho, Passes Away
David Rogers | Staff Writer
The late South Korean pastor Yonggi Cho and his wife. Image: Instagram
The pastor of the world’s largest church, South Korean pastor Yonggi Cho, has died at the age of 85.
Cho had been hospitalized since a collapse in June 2020 and reportedly died in Seoul from a brain hemorrhage.
Pastor Cho was the co-founder of the Yoido Full Gospel Church, an Assemblies of God denomination and believed to be the world’s largest congregation, with a claimed membership of 830,000 that serves Christians in South Korea.
His wife, Sung-Hye Kim, died in February from what was reported to be a chronic disease.
According to Good Word News, Cho founded Yoido Full Gospel Church in 1958, which has grown to become one of the largest churches in the world with more than 480,000 attendees per week, according to Leadership Network, an international organization of church leaders.
Yoido has more than 500 churches across South Korea and has sent thousands of missionaries to different countries over the years, according to the church’s press release. Cho himself has participated in religious rallies and movements in 71 countries, the statement said.
The Cho’s also founded Church Growth International, an organization dedicated to teaching the principles of evangelism and church growth to pastors all over the world in November 1976. In 1986, they led the way in establishing the Elim Welfare Town, a facility for the elderly, the young, the homeless, and the unemployed. The latter would be given training and a choice of four occupations.
Cho spent more than 44 years emphasizing the importance of cell group ministry, believing that it is the key to church growth. For all he has created, he was involved in a 2014 scandal after he was convicted of embezzling $14 million in church donations to buy shares owned by his son, at four times their market value, according to Reuters.
He is survived by three sons. His funeral is set for this coming Saturday.
- Myanmar Baptist pastor shot dead amid continued military attacks
- British pro-life group threaten legal action following police response to assault
- Sex Trafficking Survivors Sue Nevada for Enabling Sexual Slavery
- Facing court case, Brian Houston steps down from Hillsong board
- Hillsong forced to defend itself after 60 Minutes Australia sexual assault investigation
- Reminders of CCP Oppression May Surround the World’s Largest Chinese Embassy, London
- Twelve Nigerian Christians killed in attacks by suspected Fulani militants
- “Protect our Children”: Group Urges Viacom to Drop VMAs From Nickelodeon
- Staff and students arrested at Chinese Christian Music High School
- Hillsong member wins “controversial” The Voice TV show
- New Book a Fresh Perspective on the Story of the Cross
- The 6 Ways You Can Recognize God’s Guidance for Your Life
- Chip Ingram Invites Christians on 17-Day Bible Study Journey of Romans 12 Starting on September 27
- Pastors Rave about the Most Effective Forgiveness Book that Empowers Even Those Traumatized by 9/11 to Find Inner Peace and Happiness
- ‘God’s ad-man’ overcomes failure and depression to help many Christian groups
- 96 Organizations Honored as “Certified Best Christian Workplaces”
- Money Is Easy – New Biblical-based picture book for kids available for pre-order
- Evangelical online platform Jrevolution.net will host New Neogenesis discipleship program starting August 3
- God First Nation Co.(TM) Announces Launch Of Handcrafted Wooden And Stainless Steel Watches, The BlackJes Collection
- The Power of Fasting: How About a Juice Fast?
- Dr. Lord: 13 Ways to Conquer Stress
- The Pastor with the Cure: How to Bring God into Creating a Healthy Life
- On 07.04.21 (Independence Day) Christian Churches Must Join Together to Begin Fixing America
- Searching for authentic faith, new book ‘The Pretend Christian’ a must read
- Why Douglas Murray wants Christianity to be true (and is worried if it isn’t)
- Bestselling author inspired by life after death encounter