The 10 biggest challenges pastors face with counseling
Among the many responsibilities of pastors is counseling church members. Some pastors spend a lot of time counseling members. Others do limited counseling before referring the member to someone they view to be more qualified.
But all pastors are counselors.
We took the opportunity to ask pastors on social media about the most challenging issues they face when they do counseling. While there were some definite outliers, these ten were among the most frequent responses.
1. Marital infidelity. Many pastors lamented the horrendous damage done to marriages and families when one or more of the spouses are not faithful.
2. Divorce. Obviously, the first two are related. A number of pastors said that those who come to them with divorce on their minds usually have their minds made up. Counseling is either a formality or an appeasement toward a favorable divorce settlement.
3. Sexual and physical abuse. Some pastors said this issue was the fastest-growing topic in counseling. They don’t think sexual and physical abuse is new; more victims are now willing to come forward.
4. Mental health issues. Depression and anxiety were mentioned frequently, but others were noted such as schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder.
5. Teen sexual issues. More teens are seeking help with issues of sexual identity, sexual pressure, and sexually transmitted diseases.
6. Addiction. Though alcoholism is still very much an issue, a number of pastors spoke of other addictions such as heroin and other opioids.
7. Church conflict. Church fights lead many members to counseling. Lack of church unity has far-reaching consequences.
8. Loss of a child. This issue is a nightmare for the parents, and often requires long-term counseling. A number of pastors expressed willingness to do this counseling for the longer-term than many of the other issues.
9. Death of a loved one. This category would include the loss of all other loved ones beyond the death of a child.
10. Lack of forgiveness; bitterness. I had my expectations of what issues would arise before I put the question before pastors. This one surprised me, though it probably should have been expected. I guess I didn’t expect those who were bitter to seek counseling. Apparently, I was wrong.
There were a few head turners. For example, one man sought counseling because his wife was not happy with his girlfriend moving into the house with them. And he brought both women to the counseling session. This one fits the truth-is-stranger-than-fiction category.
Among the lighter ones was the pastor who does counseling with Alabama and Auburn fans who despise each other.
I understand that one.
This list is by no means exhaustive. I received a lot of great input.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on July 31. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Franklin Graham weighs in on Planned Parenthood’s loss of $60m annual gov funding
- In America, ‘The Left Stokes Racist Flames and Demonizes Millions’
- Unplanned Movie Releases in Australia and NZ
- Mexican Pastor Killed During Last Sunday Church Service
- Veggie Tales founder says Christian kid’s shows will have to address LGBT soon
- If ministry stinks, then this new book is a must
- Building God’s Way Seminars show ministry leaders how to create an “Embedded Church” Facility
- Little Women – New Trailer Now Available On EPK.TV!
- ‘Servant Leadership’ five-book series by best-selling author Kevin Wayne Johnson
- The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine Is Coming to Walmart
When Bart Ehrman and Marty Sampson Doubt The Gospels
In one of Marty Sampson’s latest Instagram posts, last Tuesday, he continued to give reasons for his crisis of faith. One of those involved a...
The Totalitarian Power Play of Character Assassination that Could Tear the U.S. Apart
There’s a revolution taking place in America today… It’s not a revolution being fought with guns and bullets – at least not...
If you’re missing vision, you’re missing out
On the way to surf training early last week with the radio playing to wake us up, my 10 year-old son told me that his friend at soccer told him that...
Fatherless America and Mass Shootings: Dads, We Need You!
I want to tread very carefully here since, as I write these words, families are in agony. Lives have been torn apart. People have been taken away in...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE