The faster pace of decline toward death for many churches
Based upon an aggregate of several research projects, I made some notes of growth and decline rates of churches and summarized my estimates into five categories by worship attendance changes over the previous five-year period. I compiled the following numbers ten years ago:
Growth and Decline Categories of North American Congregations 2009
- Fast-growing (growing greater than 5% annually): 12%
- Growing (growing nominally to 5% annually): 23%
- Steadily declining (declining 0% to 3% annually): 34%
- Rapidly declining (declining 2% to 5% annually): 21%
- Declining toward death (over 5% decline annually): 10%
This past week I conducted the same exercise based on some of my updated research and the research of others and estimated the following:
Growth and Decline Categories of North American Congregations 2019
- Fast-growing (growing greater than 5% annually): 3%
- Growing (growing nominally to 5% annually): 24%
- Steadily declining (declining 0% to 3% annually): 32%
- Rapidly declining (declining 2% to 5% annually): 22%
- Declining toward death (over 5% decline annually): 19%
My numbers admittedly are estimates, but they do have some quantitative basis, such as denominational statistics, research by LifeWay Research, and the data available in the increasing number of consultation and coaching requests we receive.
Obviously, the staggering reality of these numbers is the pronounced change in the two extreme categories. We are seeing a marked decline in fast-growing churches and a marked increase in churches declining toward death.
As I prayerfully consider these trends, I have a few immediate reactions and thoughts:
- We need fervent prayer more than ever in our churches.
- Our church leaders and members must let go of the idols of the past and traditions that hold us back.
- If we are not focused and intentional on evangelism and sharing the gospel, we are little more than a religious social club.
- We must stop fighting each other and understand who the real enemy is.
- Church leaders should humbly seek interventions of coaching and consultation to see how God might lead us in fresh and exciting directions.
- I have seen too many churches breakout in God’s power to maintain a defeatist attitude. The One who resurrects the dead can bring any church back to life again.
This information is sobering. But it is not hopeless. God is not done with us yet.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on June 3. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Group starts petition for Donald Trump’s Twitter account to be banned
- Why the NBA Is a ‘Spineless Bully’
- “Please leave us” Australian Anglican bishop tells gays who want to change doctrine
- Christian Charity Responds with Aid in Northern Syria
- Christian tourists at risk if they display their Bible in public in Saudi Arabia
- Colleges and Universities Want Homeschool Graduates!
- New Book ‘The Christian Meditation Journal’ Makes Meditation Accessible to Christians
- New book aims to ‘revolutionize Christian theology regarding creation and all things cosmic’
- “The Jeremiah Johnston Show” Celebrates its First Anniversary on Faith Radio Network
- The Whole Truth Announces Winners of 2019 “40 Under 40 Award”
The 10 Ways Churches Drive Away First-Time Guests
The research and the post got me in trouble five years ago. So, why am I re-visiting this issue? Over the past few weeks, I have been involved...
Kanye West brings Sunday Services to Washington
Kanye West has surprised students at Washington’s Howard University by bringing his Kanye’s Sunday Services to the university. West, who...
Bernie Sanders says Trump Supporters are ‘Lying Bigots’. 5 Reasons He’s Wrong.
In the socialist world view – the world of identity politics – one can’t support both religious freedom and LGBTQ rights. They are mutually...
‘Why Using Children to Promote Climate Change Hysteria is Child Abuse’
It’s unconscionable… It’s child abuse… There’s no excuse for scaring vulnerable children into believing the world is going to end in...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE