The faster pace of decline toward death for many churches
Based upon an aggregate of several research projects, I made some notes of growth and decline rates of churches and summarized my estimates into five categories by worship attendance changes over the previous five-year period. I compiled the following numbers ten years ago:
Growth and Decline Categories of North American Congregations 2009
- Fast-growing (growing greater than 5% annually): 12%
- Growing (growing nominally to 5% annually): 23%
- Steadily declining (declining 0% to 3% annually): 34%
- Rapidly declining (declining 2% to 5% annually): 21%
- Declining toward death (over 5% decline annually): 10%
This past week I conducted the same exercise based on some of my updated research and the research of others and estimated the following:
Growth and Decline Categories of North American Congregations 2019
- Fast-growing (growing greater than 5% annually): 3%
- Growing (growing nominally to 5% annually): 24%
- Steadily declining (declining 0% to 3% annually): 32%
- Rapidly declining (declining 2% to 5% annually): 22%
- Declining toward death (over 5% decline annually): 19%
My numbers admittedly are estimates, but they do have some quantitative basis, such as denominational statistics, research by LifeWay Research, and the data available in the increasing number of consultation and coaching requests we receive.
Obviously, the staggering reality of these numbers is the pronounced change in the two extreme categories. We are seeing a marked decline in fast-growing churches and a marked increase in churches declining toward death.
As I prayerfully consider these trends, I have a few immediate reactions and thoughts:
- We need fervent prayer more than ever in our churches.
- Our church leaders and members must let go of the idols of the past and traditions that hold us back.
- If we are not focused and intentional on evangelism and sharing the gospel, we are little more than a religious social club.
- We must stop fighting each other and understand who the real enemy is.
- Church leaders should humbly seek interventions of coaching and consultation to see how God might lead us in fresh and exciting directions.
- I have seen too many churches breakout in God’s power to maintain a defeatist attitude. The One who resurrects the dead can bring any church back to life again.
This information is sobering. But it is not hopeless. God is not done with us yet.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on June 3. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Franklin Graham weighs in on Planned Parenthood’s loss of $60m annual gov funding
- In America, ‘The Left Stokes Racist Flames and Demonizes Millions’
- Unplanned Movie Releases in Australia and NZ
- Mexican Pastor Killed During Last Sunday Church Service
- Veggie Tales founder says Christian kid’s shows will have to address LGBT soon
- If ministry stinks, then this new book is a must
- Building God’s Way Seminars show ministry leaders how to create an “Embedded Church” Facility
- Little Women – New Trailer Now Available On EPK.TV!
- ‘Servant Leadership’ five-book series by best-selling author Kevin Wayne Johnson
- The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine Is Coming to Walmart
When Bart Ehrman and Marty Sampson Doubt The Gospels
In one of Marty Sampson’s latest Instagram posts, last Tuesday, he continued to give reasons for his crisis of faith. One of those involved a...
The Totalitarian Power Play of Character Assassination that Could Tear the U.S. Apart
There’s a revolution taking place in America today… It’s not a revolution being fought with guns and bullets – at least not...
If you’re missing vision, you’re missing out
On the way to surf training early last week with the radio playing to wake us up, my 10 year-old son told me that his friend at soccer told him that...
Fatherless America and Mass Shootings: Dads, We Need You!
I want to tread very carefully here since, as I write these words, families are in agony. Lives have been torn apart. People have been taken away in...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE