The five trends of retiring baby boomer pastors
On January 1, 2011, 100,000 Baby Boomers reached age 65. Every day since then, another 100,000 Boomers turn 65. Many of them retire at that age or shortly thereafter.
That’s a lot of retired Boomers. Among them are a lot of retiring pastors.
So, we recently asked a number of retired or retiring Boomer pastors what they planned to do in their next stage of life. We received five common responses among them:
1. Boomer pastors are not retiring from vocational ministry. We received that message loud and clear. No Boomer with whom we spoke was planning a life of travel and rocking chairs exclusively. These pastors had definitive ideas, some concrete plans, about what they would do next.
2. The most common path was to become an interim pastor. Slightly under half of the respondents had this ministry as a clear path. Many of them had interim pastorates waiting on them when they retired. One pastor who retired six years ago has already served in seven interim roles, almost without a break.
3. Some Boomer pastors will serve on church staff in a different role. Most of them chose not to serve at the church from where they were retiring. But it was not unusual for some of them to return to a church they served in earlier years, this time doing ministry in a part-time or full-time staff role. We are also watching a growing trend among retiring pastors to serve in church revitalization and replanting roles.
4. It is not unusual for a Boomer pastor to mentor other pastors in retirement. Indeed, most of these pastors have a wealth of knowledge, experience, and wisdom to share with other pastors. The Millennial pastors seemed to be the most eager to be mentored by retired Boomer pastors.
5. About one of ten retired Boomer pastors are becoming church consultants. This role is similar to mentoring or coaching pastors, but they examine the health of the entire church instead of just working with one person.
Another common response we heard is that many Boomer pastors are serving in more than one of these capacities. I know one retired pastor who is serving as a pastor in a church revitalization, coaching six other pastors, and consulting with two or three churches a year! Retirement no longer means what retirement meant just a few years ago. The Boomers as a whole don’t seem to have any plans to slow down.
Are you a Boomer retiree or a Boomer planning to retire in the near future? I would love to hear your plans. What does God have next for you?
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on September 23. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer.
- A life of travel leads author to Central Australia and fostering Indigenous children
- Why identity in Christ is at the heart of a successful Christian life
- New group launches to support Christian women in business
- Colleges and Universities Want Homeschool Graduates!
- New Book ‘The Christian Meditation Journal’ Makes Meditation Accessible to Christians
Preach The Whole Truth, Except If It Offends
I appreciate Tom Gilson’s heart in his recent article, Preach the Whole Truth? Yes. Toss a Grenade In Your Sanctuary? Not Wise, but a sentence...
Franklin Graham: Trump impeachment ‘about lying and spinning lies’
As the impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump gets underway, Franklin Graham has spoken out in support of the president. In a Facebook post,...
Israel Folau reaches settlement with Rugby Australia
Christian rugby star Israel Folau has settled with his former employer over social media posts. Folau was seeking AUD $14 million in damages,...
How churches can select the right mission partner
I average one about every other day. Someone wants our church to become a mission partner. The requests come through different means—email,...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE