The new trends in church names
Remember when denominational names were en vogue? Remember when you could figure out which denominational church came to the city first: First Methodist; First Baptist; First Presbyterian? Remember when you could tell two churches that split: Harmony Baptist Church and Greater Harmony Baptist Church?
Those days are gone. But what has not changed is that many churches have commonalities in names. In their attempts to be different, they have become common. I went to social media and to Church Answers to learn from my community about church names. Their responses were both fascinating and funny.
- “Point” has become ubiquitous. LifePoint. CrossPoint. Add an “e” to be fancy: GracePointe; LifePointe; CrossPointe.
- “Life” has a new life: Life Church; Real Life; New Life; LifePoint or LifePointe (see above).
- Tim Keller put Redeemer back into vogue. Both Redeemer and Redemption get a lot of love.
- City Church, usually with another name in front of it. These churches can be found in the city, suburbs, and the country.
- Christ Church. It’s simple and popular.
- Five biggies the past ten years: Journey, Bridge, Foundry, Mosaic, and Generation.
- Cross has made a surge. Cross Church. Cross Fellowship. Cross Roads. CrossPoint or CrossPointe (see above).
- Simple Church. Sorry, that was a book (available at LifeWay.com).
- Meaningful names. Impact. Potential. Epic. Transformation. Renovation. Innovate.
- Fellowship can be found in almost any town. It usually has other words, but sometimes it’s just Fellowship Church.
- Grace. Especially in the Reformed churches.
- Many churches like the new factor: New Life. New Hope. New Song. New Now (I made up the one). NewPoint. NewPointe (see above).
- Moving on up. Elevate. Vertical. Summit.
- Not English. Pick a Greek or Latin name you remember from seminary. Eklessia. Ecclessia. Koinonia. Agape. Many others.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on June 18. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- British mother infuriated by docs’ eagerness to abort ‘Down’s baby’
- Study Shows Costs Of Legal Marijuana Exceeds Revenues 4:1
- Billy Graham Chaplains Witness Three Testimonies in California Fires
- Trump’ ‘Impossible’ Tax Cuts and Deregulation Spark Historic Economic Boom
- Joni Eareckson Tada Receives New Cancer Diagnosis
If the Radical Left Takes Over, You Can Kiss Your Freedoms Goodbye
The pattern is as predictable as it is obvious. When the left (especially the far left) talks about freedom, it means freedom for those who conform....
I’m a Jesus-Follower, Not an Older, White, Male, Conservative American
It’s true that I prefer the Republican Party platform to the Democratic Party platform, hands down. It’s true that I’m a moral conservative...
Stop Obsessing Over Social Media Metrics and Start Obsessing Over Ideas
One of the great mistakes of the social media age is obsessing over metrics at the expense of ideas. There are so many digital tools today that...
Christian university, Christian Post indicted in $35 Million fraud
Manhattan District Attorney has charged Olivet University, which also ties in Christian Media Corporation, publishers of The Christian Post on $35...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE