The Seven Sentences That Make Pastors Cringe
I love the fact that the community of this blog is growing with pastors, church staff, and laity. The latter category, laity or church members, has been very receptive to many of my posts and suggestions. A church member from Virginia recently told me at a conference where I was speaking, “I read your posts because I learn things I would have never known from the perspective of the pastor.” The lady who said that is now the leader of the intercessory prayer ministry of the church, a ministry that includes specific intercession for her pastor.
It is in that spirit that I offer these seven sentences. My purpose is simply to convey information you might not have considered otherwise. Many pastors hear these sentences frequently, even though the church member may think his or her comment is both novel and helpful.
1. “I heard a podcast pastor preach on the same text. Let me tell you how he dealt with it.” The pastor often receives this statement as, “Let me tell you how good preaching actually sounds.”
2. “We believe we should pay the pastor as low as possible to keep him humble.” Of course, that church member rarely wants to practice the same humility.
3. “Our church is big enough. We don’t need any more new members.” Perhaps the church should place a sign outside saying. “Closed for business. No longer practicing the Great Commission.”
4. “I wish I had your schedule.” Translation: “It must be nice to work only one day a week.” Sigh.
5. “I love you pastor but . . .” The pastor knows the purpose of that statement is not one of love, but everything that follows the “but.”
6. “People are saying . . .” This sentence is the ultimate cop-out statement. It is a cowardly statement. The church member attempts to hide behind the anonymity of “people” when the member usually is the real source of the statement.
7. “I was here before you came here. I will still be here after you leave.” This statement is ultimately a threat. “Don’t make any changes that I don’t approve. I am in charge. Don’t even try to lead.”
Sometimes these statements are said with malice. Other times they are said out of ignorance. But almost all times they are painful to the pastor.
Be a source of love and encouragement for your pastor. Please avoid these seven and similar sentences.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on November 10. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Police in India File Charges against Pastors
- Big Tech War Escalates Against Christians and Conservatives
- Over 300 Nigerian Christians slain in merciless Islamic killings since February
- Minority Rights Group Leader Calls for Release of Asia Bibi
- Former Pastor, Hedge Fund Manager Sentenced to 5 Years Prison
The Pastor’s Wife on Raising the Pastor’s Kids
The idea of my children being “pastor’s kids” has always been a dreaded thought in the back of my mind. I’ve heard so many stories of...
5 Reasons Christians Are Silent While the Innocent Suffer
It’s easy to look back at previous generations and pass judgment on them. “If I had been there in the days of slavery,” we think, “I would...
With Lifeway gone, is this the end for Christian retail?
They were heady times. Stores were opening at rapid pace. Retail groups bought or leased major warehouses as head offices were set up to dispatch...
US Vice President Issues Urgent Call To ‘Help The Persecuted’ At D.C. Summit
Speaking at the first ever Help The Persecuted Summit in Washington, D.C. on Friday March, US Vice President Mike Pence highlighted the vital...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE