United Airlines and the Firestorm of Social Media
For a Christian leader, the recent blow-up at United Airlines should be a teaching moment on the power of social media. You no doubt heard the story about an overbooked flight, and the passenger (who had paid for his ticket and was already seated on the plane) who was physically ejected for another passenger. Right or wrong, the incident was recorded on video and it quickly became the top story in the media. By the next morning, the social media memes had been launched:
Any organization of any size can experience that kind of nightmare, and social media amplifies it for the world to see. CNN reported that in less than 48 hours, United lost more than $250 million in value. So if you’re a leader, here’s what to remember in today’s digital, text message, and social media world:
1) Whatever mistake you or your organization makes, assume it will be videotaped. There are simply too many phones these days to avoid it (in America there are now more phones than people), and there are few things more damaging than seeing the incident on video. Expect it, and always think about that before you get angry, upset, or do something you’ll regret later
2) The social media firestorm happens quickly. A few years ago I helped a church deal with the media aftermath of a pastor who had fallen from grace (to put it mildly.) When the Executive Pastor called me for advice, the pastor had just confessed to the elder board seconds before, so nobody else knew. But at the end of the call, I did a Google search just to see if anything had been leaked. To my surprise, the entire story was on the home page of a website on the other side of the country. In a digital world, word travels fast.
3) Social media critics are brutal. Before United had their day in court, or even a chance to tell their side of the story, they were overwhelmed by the critics. But as you’ve seen in these memes, the critics don’t care. They’ve made up their mind and start unleashing their venom on social media. Funny or not, it’s damaging, and can cause some otherwise good companies and organizations to collapse.
4) Finally, have a reaction plan in place. Today we live in a world where a housewife in Tulsa can bring down a major company simply through the momentum of social media. That’s why your church, ministry, nonprofit, or business needs a strategy for defense when something happens. How do you respond? Who’s the spokesperson? What should we say or not say? All those questions and more should be dealt with now, so when something happens, you’re ready
Ad by the way – note I didn’t say “IF” something happens, I said “WHEN” something happens. In today’s transparent world, sooner or later, right or wrong, innocent or not, a mistake will be made.
Will your organization be ready?
Phil Cooke is a producer and media consultant to churches and ministries across the country. His latest book is “Unique: Telling Your Story in the Age of Brands and Social Media.” Find out more at www.philcooke.com.
Image courtesy Wikipedia Commons
- Harry and Meghan chose Bible verse for sermon: Bishop
- #MeToo takes down Southern Baptist president
- In Britain, thousands of children referred to transsexual clinic
- ‘Jesus Culture’ Worship Leader Sings the Blues Away
- Euthanasia goes against core belief that death and dying is natural’: Palliative care experts
How to Discover Your Destiny
We all want to know our destiny don’t we? We all want to know what we were put on this earth for; what God made us to do; what God has in store for...
Parenting in the Digital Age: The Twelve Essential Tips
Who is iGen? Kids between the ages of 6 and 23 fall into a generation now getting labeled Post-Millennial or Gen Z or iGen. I want to introduce you...
Billy Graham’s Will Released to Public
The will of one of the great evangelists of our time, Rev. Billy Graham, has been released to the public. In the 16-page document, Rev. Graham uses...
The Three Accidents That Did Not Happen at Your Church
If you are the pastor I met in Richmond, Virginia recently, thank you. Thank you for your encouragement. Thank you for your...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE