When You’re Called to Ministry Later in Life…
The call to vocational ministry later in life is both exciting and challenging. It is exciting to know God is preparing you for another path and, perhaps, another place. It’s challenging because of issues related to family, finances, and training.
We often receive questions at Church Answers from those going into vocational ministry for the first time in their 40s and 50s, and even in their 60s. As we try to guide them toward next steps, we ask them a series of questions. These are the six most common questions:
1. Will you stay in your secular vocation for now? The answer to that question obviously has financial implications. But it also allows the minister to be a marketplace pastor, or worship leader, or executive pastor, or any other position.
2. Is your family supportive of your moving in this direction? This question is one that is obviously important at any phase of life or decision-making. It has profound implications when you are older. The change is often dramatic and life-altering for the entire family.
3. How will I train for ministry? Can you work in your current church in an internship or as a volunteer staff person? Will you go to seminary online? Are you and your family willing to relocate?
4. Where do you see yourself in five years? Are you moving toward a full-time vocational position? Or are you called and content to be a marketplace minister?
5. Where will you find opportunities to preach? This question, of course, is specifically directed toward those who sense God’s call to pastoral and/or preaching ministries. Where can you begin to fill a pulpit? Will it be in those situations where the pastor is out for a week or two? Or can you find an interim or part-time position at a smaller church in the area?
6. Do you have a mentor? This question is extremely important. You need someone to guide you in this new phase of life. You need someone to ask you questions. You need someone to hold you accountable. Is there a pastor you know who would be happy to walk alongside you? If not, we have mentors at Church Answers who will be glad to walk with you in this journey.
It is an exciting time to be called into vocational ministry. It is an especially exciting time when it happens later in life. God has used older leaders and ministers for hundreds of years. He certainly can and will use you.
You have my prayers as you embark on this exciting journey.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on January 30. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Planned Parenthood critic says disarray ‘not unexpected’
- Abu Dhabi recognizes 19 non-Muslim worship places
- The Bachelorette: Does Jesus Still Love You If You Have Sex Out of Wedlock?
- Despite death threats, Unplanned powers at the Canadian box office
- Joni Eareckson Tada announces she is free of cancer
My Five Communication Priorities If I Were a Pastor
Pastors have many responsibilities, but one of the most important priorities for church leaders should be communication. After all, “preaching the...
On the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, the moon as evidence for God
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, and I, like many of you, watched numerous documentaries celebrating this extraordinary...
What You Need to Know About the Southern Border Crisis
As Americans, we must stand on high moral ground. When we see wrong, we must expose it with the truth. When falsehood is spread, truth must be...
Want to Launch a Career? Today, It’s Up to You
In the past, many companies would hire novices and help them develop into more experienced employees. In those days, they put a great deal of...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE