Why Aren’t Pastors Teaching About Social Media?
Few things in culture are having such a controversial impact…
I’ll get some haters with this article, but for a long time I’ve advocated that pastors teach their congregations about using social media with Biblical wisdom. Think about it. From the perspective of negative cultural impact, according to the Young Health Movement:
– Above 90% of people aged between 16 and 24 years on the Internet use social media websites only.
– In all age groups people using social media are more depressed.
– People find social media effects more addictive than the use of tobacco and alcohol.
– Most of the users of social media are also suffering from increased anxiety, depression and poor sleeping conditions like insomnia.
The negative effects on families is mounting. It provides a place where kids and teens can engage with sites and people their parents know nothing about. Kids are avoiding their families and prefer to spend more time with their gadgets alone in their rooms. A number of years ago at the Sundance Film Festival, I saw a documentary on the phenomenon in China where parents are having their kids kidnapped and put into intensive de-programming because online gaming is taking up so much of their lives.
I could go on and on, but you get it. Social media is a wonderful thing – IF you have the knowledge and skills to control it. Say what you like, but most people don’t have those skills and we’re seeing the deterioration happening in our culture every day.
Does the Bible speak about social media? Of course not. But there’s plenty of things pastors discuss from the pulpit that aren’t mentioned in the Bible. All I’m asking is for pastors to consider having someone come in and teach parents how to help their kids navigate the social media world – or pastors can do it themselves if they have the knowledge. While they’re at it, they can teach the rest of us how to be wise when it comes to using those platforms.
The dramatic rise in misinformation, polarization, criticism, stalking, and overall snarkiness can be traced to social media. So before it completely takes over our lives, let’s learn how to harness it for good.
Phil Cooke, Ph.D. is a producer and media consultant to churches and ministries across the country. His latest book is “The Way Back: How Christians Blew Their Credibility and How We Get It Back.” Find out more at www.philcooke.com.
- Myanmar Baptist pastor shot dead amid continued military attacks
- British pro-life group threaten legal action following police response to assault
- Sex Trafficking Survivors Sue Nevada for Enabling Sexual Slavery
- Facing court case, Brian Houston steps down from Hillsong board
- Hillsong forced to defend itself after 60 Minutes Australia sexual assault investigation
- Reminders of CCP Oppression May Surround the World’s Largest Chinese Embassy, London
- Twelve Nigerian Christians killed in attacks by suspected Fulani militants
- “Protect our Children”: Group Urges Viacom to Drop VMAs From Nickelodeon
- Staff and students arrested at Chinese Christian Music High School
- Hillsong member wins “controversial” The Voice TV show
- New Book a Fresh Perspective on the Story of the Cross
- The 6 Ways You Can Recognize God’s Guidance for Your Life
- Chip Ingram Invites Christians on 17-Day Bible Study Journey of Romans 12 Starting on September 27
- Pastors Rave about the Most Effective Forgiveness Book that Empowers Even Those Traumatized by 9/11 to Find Inner Peace and Happiness
- ‘God’s ad-man’ overcomes failure and depression to help many Christian groups
- 96 Organizations Honored as “Certified Best Christian Workplaces”
- Money Is Easy – New Biblical-based picture book for kids available for pre-order
- Evangelical online platform Jrevolution.net will host New Neogenesis discipleship program starting August 3
- God First Nation Co.(TM) Announces Launch Of Handcrafted Wooden And Stainless Steel Watches, The BlackJes Collection
- The Power of Fasting: How About a Juice Fast?
- Dr. Lord: 13 Ways to Conquer Stress
- The Pastor with the Cure: How to Bring God into Creating a Healthy Life
- On 07.04.21 (Independence Day) Christian Churches Must Join Together to Begin Fixing America
- Searching for authentic faith, new book ‘The Pretend Christian’ a must read
- Why Douglas Murray wants Christianity to be true (and is worried if it isn’t)
- Bestselling author inspired by life after death encounter