Why Not Everyone Has To Know About Your God Idea
In so many cases, when we’ve discovered our calling, or launched a new idea, project, or mission, we want to shout it from the housetops. I’m as guilty as anyone, because when a great idea hits, I want to share it with everyone. But there’s really good counsel in holding it back from some people – at least for a time.
In Exodus Chapter 4, Moses had just encountered God’s call through a burning bush. It was big, audacious, epic. He was out in the desert with nobody to share it with, and when he returned to his house, you’d think he’d want to tell everyone.
But he didn’t.
After an amazing encounter with God, where his life was re-focused on something remarkable, the Bible says, “Moses went back to Jethro his father-in-law and said to him, “Please let me go back to my brothers in Egypt to see whether they are still alive.” And Jethro said to Moses, “Go in peace.””
That was it. Nothing about “Hey Jethro, God has called me to lead millions of Jews out of Egypt to freedom.” Or perhaps, “The time has finally come! God has revealed to me that he’s freeing His people from Egypt!” Or even, “Hey dad, I finally got out of this rocky place. I’m heading back to Egypt to fulfill God’s call on my life”
Nope. Just “Please let me go back to my brothers in Egypt to see whether they are still alive.”
Why did Moses hold back? No one knows, but I can imagine that he had a lot of processing to do. It was time for reflection, not magnification.
The lesson? Here’s 3 things to consider:
1) When the heavens open and your big idea, project, or mission becomes clear, take some time. I’ve discovered that when I blurt it out too soon, it’s like air escaping from a balloon. It loses it’s pressure, it’s energy, and it’s urgency. So hold off. Let the idea percolate, and spend time thinking about the possibilities.
2) Remember the critics. The minute you reveal your plan, the critics will hit, and if it’s not very well developed, you won’t have many answers – which will lead to self-doubt.
3) Finally, just because God reveals the idea, doesn’t mean He’s revealed ALL of the idea. This may be bigger than you think, so give it a little time to develop before you announce it.
One key principle I’ve learned as our Cooke Pictures team has re-branded major organizations is that how and when you roll it out is just as important as what you roll out.
Phil Cooke is a producer and media consultant to churches and ministries across the country. His latest book is “Unique: Telling Your Story in the Age of Brands and Social Media.” Find out more at www.philcooke.com.
- Anne Graham-Lotz gives cancer praise report
- Boko Haram kills midwife, threatens to kill other hostages, unless demands met
- Prepare for the Wrath of the Pro-Abortion Militants
- Willow Creek announces an independent review into allegations against Bill Hybels
- ‘Men should be allowed to erase sex crimes if they say they are women’
My Most Influential Christian Leaders of the Past 50 Years
I don’t know about you, but it seems to me there’s a lot of talk about what makes a great Christian leader. Books, seminars, and conferences...
Chris Pratt: sharing Christian faith ‘fills my soul’
When it comes to talking about his belief in Jesus, “nothing fills my soul more”, the actor Chris Pratt has said. The Christian...
Can You Improve Your Relationship with God?
Can you improve your relationship with God? People are often unsure how to respond. The promises of grace suggest one answer; the experience of life...
Making Retirement Work: Getting Old But Finishing Well
The prospect of retirement can be daunting for many people. Some are concerned that they will be bored. Others worry that they will no longer have...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE