Why Not Everyone Has To Know About Your God Idea
In so many cases, when we’ve discovered our calling, or launched a new idea, project, or mission, we want to shout it from the housetops. I’m as guilty as anyone, because when a great idea hits, I want to share it with everyone. But there’s really good counsel in holding it back from some people – at least for a time.
In Exodus Chapter 4, Moses had just encountered God’s call through a burning bush. It was big, audacious, epic. He was out in the desert with nobody to share it with, and when he returned to his house, you’d think he’d want to tell everyone.
But he didn’t.
After an amazing encounter with God, where his life was re-focused on something remarkable, the Bible says, “Moses went back to Jethro his father-in-law and said to him, “Please let me go back to my brothers in Egypt to see whether they are still alive.” And Jethro said to Moses, “Go in peace.””
That was it. Nothing about “Hey Jethro, God has called me to lead millions of Jews out of Egypt to freedom.” Or perhaps, “The time has finally come! God has revealed to me that he’s freeing His people from Egypt!” Or even, “Hey dad, I finally got out of this rocky place. I’m heading back to Egypt to fulfill God’s call on my life”
Nope. Just “Please let me go back to my brothers in Egypt to see whether they are still alive.”
Why did Moses hold back? No one knows, but I can imagine that he had a lot of processing to do. It was time for reflection, not magnification.
The lesson? Here’s 3 things to consider:
1) When the heavens open and your big idea, project, or mission becomes clear, take some time. I’ve discovered that when I blurt it out too soon, it’s like air escaping from a balloon. It loses it’s pressure, it’s energy, and it’s urgency. So hold off. Let the idea percolate, and spend time thinking about the possibilities.
2) Remember the critics. The minute you reveal your plan, the critics will hit, and if it’s not very well developed, you won’t have many answers – which will lead to self-doubt.
3) Finally, just because God reveals the idea, doesn’t mean He’s revealed ALL of the idea. This may be bigger than you think, so give it a little time to develop before you announce it.
One key principle I’ve learned as our Cooke Pictures team has re-branded major organizations is that how and when you roll it out is just as important as what you roll out.
Phil Cooke is a producer and media consultant to churches and ministries across the country. His latest book is “Unique: Telling Your Story in the Age of Brands and Social Media.” Find out more at www.philcooke.com.
- British mother infuriated by docs’ eagerness to abort ‘Down’s baby’
- Study Shows Costs Of Legal Marijuana Exceeds Revenues 4:1
- Billy Graham Chaplains Witness Three Testimonies in California Fires
- Trump’ ‘Impossible’ Tax Cuts and Deregulation Spark Historic Economic Boom
- Joni Eareckson Tada Receives New Cancer Diagnosis
If the Radical Left Takes Over, You Can Kiss Your Freedoms Goodbye
The pattern is as predictable as it is obvious. When the left (especially the far left) talks about freedom, it means freedom for those who conform....
I’m a Jesus-Follower, Not an Older, White, Male, Conservative American
It’s true that I prefer the Republican Party platform to the Democratic Party platform, hands down. It’s true that I’m a moral conservative...
Stop Obsessing Over Social Media Metrics and Start Obsessing Over Ideas
One of the great mistakes of the social media age is obsessing over metrics at the expense of ideas. There are so many digital tools today that...
Christian university, Christian Post indicted in $35 Million fraud
Manhattan District Attorney has charged Olivet University, which also ties in Christian Media Corporation, publishers of The Christian Post on $35...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE