Why the Children’s Minister Is the Most In-Demand Church Staff member
It was not an unusual question at Church Answers. For those of you not familiar with Church Answers, it is a 24/7 resource where you can ask any church question and get a response within a few hours.
Here is the context. The pastor was the only paid staff member at the church, but now funds were available to bring on another full-time staff person. So he asked us in the 2,000-member Church Answers’ community to offer input on what his first hire should be.
I was blown away.
The responses, at least as I write these words, were 100 percent in urging him to get a children’s minister. There were no divergent opinions. One church leader after another exhorted him to go this route.
So why is the children’s minister position is such demand? The Church Answers community let us know, with most of the responses fitting in one of five categories
1. Millennials have a lot of kids. The Millennial generation is the largest generation in America’s history (though they may be surpassed by Gen Z). There are 78 million young adults ranging in ages from 18 to 38. And they have lots of kids. If they visit a church, one of their highest priorities is the quality of the children’s ministry.
2. A healthy children’s ministry usually results in a healthy student ministry. It makes sense. If there is quality teaching and ministry for the children, these children are more likely to move to student ministry better prepared for life and better discipled for God’s work.
3. A quality children’s ministry requires a large volunteer force. Indeed, this rationale was one of the key reasons the leaders at Church Answers responded in unanimity for calling a children’s minister. Leading the volunteer ministry can be a full-time job by itself.
4. If churches desire to reach families, they must be prepared to reach children. If the Boomer generation acted like helicopters and hovered over their kids, the Millennial generation is acting like sidecars, and want to go wherever the motorcycle/child goes. You can’t reach a family with kids unless you are really prepared to reach the kids.
5. Parents insist on safety, security, and hygiene for their kids. We live in a nervous time heightened by the greater awareness of sex abuse, shooters, and germs. Parents want to know the church is a safe place for their kids. The presence of a quality children’s minister is a huge positive statement for these parents.
We saw this trend five years ago. It is now a reality. The staff position of the greatest demand in congregations is the children’s minister.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on February 9. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
- Anne Graham-Lotz gives cancer praise report
- Boko Haram kills midwife, threatens to kill other hostages, unless demands met
- Prepare for the Wrath of the Pro-Abortion Militants
- Willow Creek announces an independent review into allegations against Bill Hybels
- ‘Men should be allowed to erase sex crimes if they say they are women’
My Most Influential Christian Leaders of the Past 50 Years
I don’t know about you, but it seems to me there’s a lot of talk about what makes a great Christian leader. Books, seminars, and conferences...
Chris Pratt: sharing Christian faith ‘fills my soul’
When it comes to talking about his belief in Jesus, “nothing fills my soul more”, the actor Chris Pratt has said. The Christian...
Can You Improve Your Relationship with God?
Can you improve your relationship with God? People are often unsure how to respond. The promises of grace suggest one answer; the experience of life...
Making Retirement Work: Getting Old But Finishing Well
The prospect of retirement can be daunting for many people. Some are concerned that they will be bored. Others worry that they will no longer have...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE