Why the Role of Interim Pastor Is Changing Dramatically
In the recent past, the role of the interim pastor was simple and straightforward: Find someone who can preach for six to nine months until the new pastor comes on board.
Today, the role of interim pastor is changing, becoming more complex, and carrying higher expectations. Why is this dramatic change taking place? Here are six major reasons:
1. Churches want and need more help than preaching in an interim period. Depending on how you define revitalization, somewhere between 65% and 90% of all North American congregations need some type of revitalization efforts and strategy. More churches want and expect that of their interim pastors.
2. Churches want to know if an interim pastor has specific qualifications for the job. Related to the first reason, this new reality is growing. More and more churches want to know if the prospective interim is truly trained and qualified for the role. That is one of the major reasons we created Interim Pastor University: to train and provide high-level certification for this unique ministry.
3. Interim periods are growing in length. There are a number of reasons for this phenomenon we have addressed elsewhere. But we know the time between pastors is growing. Churches, therefore, want more than the traditional pastor during this period.
4. Churches need interim pastors to make tough decisions. Many churches now look for interim pastors who can lead major changes and clean the slate for the next pastor. This type of leadership requires both experience and specific training.
5. The role of interim pastor is becoming a retirement vocation for many Boomer church leaders. A number of these leaders may do 20 or more interim pastorates as a retirement ministry. Boomer church leaders will not fade gently into the sunset. This reality is a new phenomenon that is changing the way people look at interim pastors.
6. Church life in general is more complex. The consequence is the need for an interim pastor who can adjust to these complexities. That interim pastor is different than those of the recent past.
As church practices change and church challenges grow, the role of interim pastor will grow with it. If you are interested in receiving additional training and certification as an interim pastor, join as at Interim Pastor University during our open enrollment period.
Keep your eye on these dynamics. The interim pastor of 2019 and beyond will look dramatically different than the interim pastor of 2015.
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on November 5. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and seven grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer
With Lifeway gone, is this the end for Christian retail?
They were heady times. Stores were opening at rapid pace. Retail groups bought or leased major warehouses as head offices were set up to dispatch...
US Vice President Issues Urgent Call To ‘Help The Persecuted’ At D.C. Summit
Speaking at the first ever Help The Persecuted Summit in Washington, D.C. on Friday March, US Vice President Mike Pence highlighted the vital...
For Israel, Purim Is an Anything But an Irrelevant Ancient Holiday
In the words of Ecclesiastes, there is nothing new under the sun. This is especially true when it comes to the nation of Israel. The ancient foes of...
On Faith, Why Bad Theology Hurts the Suffering
Why does God answer yes to some prayers and no to others? Why does God miraculously heal some people and not others? Why does disaster strike one...
It took 1000 coffees, but you've ﬁnished your book...
So where to now?
That's where we come in.
We have a team of publishing professionals ready to help you bring your book from your laptop to the world.
We offer cover design, typeset, eBook conversion, and competitive print prices. Oh and you'll also be on Amazon and thousands of websites worldwide.
Let us help you take the next step.LEARN MORE